Continuing its long-running tradition of April Fools’ jokes, search engine giant Google has added a version of Pac-Man to Google Maps.
By going to a location in Google Maps and clicking a Pac-Man icon in the bottom left of your browser, locations are transformed into playable Pac-Man mazes, complete with fruit, power pills and those pesky ghosts. The pill-muncher is controlled using the arrow keys on your keyboard or by finger swipes on mobile devices, and the game even comes complete with sound effects.
Not all locations are playable – they need to contain enough roads – but it works surprisingly well, and is strangely addictive. The Taj Mahal is the best location I’ve found so far, with a nice grid layout that’s about as close to the original game as you’re likely to find. Google has provided a few clues for some good locations though, if you can work them out:
- Don’t drop the ball on the eve of your victory!
- Triumph is délicieux.
- Does a Galaxian bonus await at the top of those 272 steps?
- Chomp your way to independence down seven lanes of July.
- PAC-MAN and Ms. PAC-MAN can’t agree on which side is prettier: the American or the Canadian. Which side do you fall on, eh?
- After a chat with the Sphinx, PAC-MAN sounds more like “Dokki Dokki”.
- Pause game play to admire Chagall’s stained glass windows and have a bit of chocolate.
- Can you score 10^(10^100) points?
- Whether they’re flashing blue or sporting their natural colors, Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde are always kakkoii. Even Vogue agrees they’re living in the trendiest of neighborhoods.
- Previous PAC-MAN lives don’t get to rest in a white marble mausoleum.
- Head to the valley of the sun and earn your grade in the art of the game.
- How well can you navigate the radiating streets of the distrito federal?
- Victory is like gothic glockenspiel musik to our ears.
- Pay special attention to Blinky – he might blend in with the dreaming red kangaroos!
- You’ll find the Beach PAC-MAN World Cup here before long.
The game will only be playable for today, so check it out while you can.